Obesity in adult
Obesity is a complex condition characterized by excess body fat which resulted in excessive weight.
Causes of Obesity
There are many factors that can contribute to obesity;
- Excessive food intake which high in fat and sugar which exceed the daily requirement
- Lack of exercises and physical activities
- Age, gender, genetics, internal diseases
- Taking certain medications such as steroids.
Obesity can cause a serious health implication as it can increase the risk of someone getting various disease.
Obese person has a higher risk of getting diabetes, fatty liver, metabolic syndrome, sleep disorder and breathing difficulties. They are also at moderate risk of getting stroke, coronary heart disease, heart failure, hypertension, gout and arthritis.
The best way to reduce obesity is to prevent it. These are things you can do to prevent obesity.
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid high sugar and high fat diet
- Take small amount of food at every meal
- Drink enough water at least 8 glasses per day
- Eat when you are hungry and stop before you full
- Avoid taking heavy meal before sleep or late night
- Limit amount of television viewing and substitute with exercise session.
- Monitor you weight once a week
Source: Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia (KKM) and WHO