Dato’ Dr. Sharifah graduated from the University of Alexandria, Egypt in 1978 with an MBChB. She then pursued further studies in Clinical Pathology at the Hammersmith Hospital, Royal Postgraduate Medical School London and obtained the Diploma of Clinical Pathology (DCP) in Anatomical Pathology in 1983. In 1988, she left for Bethesda, Maryland for subspecialty training in Cytopathology at the Johns Hopkins Institute.
Dr. Sharifah then pursued her doctorate in New Zealand and was awarded the Doctor of Medicine (MD) from the University of Otago in 1998. In 2010, Dr. Sharifah was awarded the Fellow of the International Academy of Cytology (FIAC).
Currently, Dr. Sharifah is the Consultant Cytopathologist at Pantai Premier Pathology and Lab Director of Reference Core Lab, Pantai Hospital Ampang. Dr. Sharifah is also actively involved in teaching and research at the university. Her positions held include:
- Technical Assessor for Cytopathology Module, Department of Standard Malaysia (DSM)
- Senior Consultant Cytopathologist, UKM Medical Centre (UKMMC)
- Member, Credentialing Committee for Anatomical Pathology subspecialty Ministry of Health
- Panel Assessor R&D Grant Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation
- President of Malaysian Society of Cytology (MSOC)